Profiles and Logos
The DC2 was developed from the DC1 which when it first flew on 1st July 1933, had a robust tapered wing, retractable landing gear, and two 690 hp (515 kW) Wright radial engines driving variable-pitch propellers. It seated 12 passengers. TWA accepted the basic design and ordered twenty of the upgraded DC-2s which were longer, had more powerful Wright GR-1820-F52 Cyclone 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engines, and carried 14 passengers in a 66-inch-wide cabin. The design impressed American and European airlines and further orders followed.