A.V. Roe was one of the worlds first aircraft builders established on 1st January 1910 in Manchester, United Kingdom by brothers Alliott Verdon Roe and Humphrey Verdon Roe. Alliott was the primary aircraft designer and Humphrey provided the financial and organizational support.
Before the formation of A.V.Roe Alliott had already built a successful aircraft, the Roe I Triplane. The first AVRO aircraft was the Avro 500 first flown in March 1912 of which 18 were manufactured mainly for the RFC, this model was eventually developed into the Avro 504 trainer used extensively by in the first world war and up to 1933 with over 8,340 built in a 20 year production run.
After WWI, there was a slump in aircraft orders which caused financial problems and in August 1920, 68.5% of the company was sold to Crossley Motors with the company moving to Woodford outside Manchester in 1924.
In 1928 Crossley Motors sold AVRO to another British aircraft company Armstrong Siddeley but maintained its separate name, A.V.Roe resigned from the company and went on to form Saunders-Roe. In 1930 AVRO became part of Hawker Siddeley.
In the 1930s the company built the biplane Avro Tutor which it sold in quantity to the RAF. Avro also started building the Avro Anson twin piston engined airliner which was widely used until the early 1960s. Also in design was the Avro Manchester, a twin engined medium bomber to be powered by 2 Rolls Royce Vulture 24 cylinder, however this engine proved to be very unreliable. In all 200 Manchester’s were built. Even whilst the Manchester was under development, AVROs chief designer Roy Chadwick was redesigning the robust airframe to have four Rolls Royce Merlin engines, this redesigned aircraft became the Avro Lancaster of which over 7,000 were built.
A number of transports were derived from the Lancaster, including the Lancastrian and York as well as the maritime reconnaissance Shackleton.
Post WWII the United Kingdom required nuclear strike aircraft, known as the V bombers, AVROs version was the Vulcan, a delta winged bomber which served until the late 1980s although only seeing combat, as a conventional bomber, in the 1982 Falkland war when it bombed the Stanley airfield.
The twin turboprop Avro 748 was developed in the 1950s and sold widely across the world.
Avro was absorbed into Hawker Siddeley in July 1963 and the Avro named ceased to be used. In the 1990s the name was resurrected by British Aerospace who named the development of the BAe146 became known as the Avro Regional Jet (Avro RJ).
Avro Canada, In 1945 Hawker Siddeley purchased the former Victory Aircraft of Malton Canada and renamed it A.V. Roe Canada Limited - commonly known as Avro Canada although the name was only used for trading purposes.
The poster is printed on 220gsm silk paper and is delivered in a cardboard tube to protect it in transit. Order the printed poster and get the digital download version FREE.
The digital download is available from our site immediately that the order has processed. Also the digital download comes FREE when you order the printed version of the poster.
Cockpit posters are A0 (841 x 1189mm - 33.1 x 46.8inch) or A1 (594 x 841mm - 23.4 x 33.1 inch) Profiles are A3 (420 x 297mm high - 16.53 x 11.69inch) or A4 (297 x 210mm - 11.69 x 8.3inch) and printed on 220gsm gloss paper. Other media and sizes are available on request.
The digital download is available immediately on order completion. The download is in pdf format and is the same resolution as the print. The digital download comes free with the A3 print purchase.
Cockpit Revolution has been developing cockpit posters for the last 5 years and are drawn by a Flight Engineer using his expertise in aircraft engineering and training.
All the posters are based upon the manufacturers documentation, visits to the aircraft and simulators and photographs.
The posters are drawn to no specific configuration, phase of flight or switch position. If you require a specific configuration, phase of flight or switch position then please contact us.